Children's Epilepsy Service
The service consists of Consultant Paediatricians (with an interest in Epilepsy) and a Children’s Epilepsy Nurse Specialist. Children are referred here by their General Practitioner, A&E or a hospital team near to where they live. The team works closely with Specialist Epilepsy and Neurology Centres such as Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel where additional investigations are carried out.
What we do:
- Run regular epilepsy out-patient clinics for children aged 0-16 years at Homerton Hospital and Hackney ARK child development centre.
- Commence anti-epileptic drugs for children with a variety of seizure disorders
- Advise on and commence rescue medication for children with epilepsy
- Monitor response to anti-epilepsy drug treatment
- Refer children for investigations, for example for EEG, Video Telemetry
- Make onward referral s to tertiary neurology and specialist epilepsy services
- Host transition clinics with the adult epilepsy service 6 times a year.
The Children’s Epilepsy Nurse Specialist is involved with any child referred to the Children’s Epilepsy Service at Homerton University Hospital and is able to offer:
- Home visits – for some children and families following diagnosis or if the level of complexity warrants a home visit with other professionals.
- Telephone advice and support for children and families between appointments particularly following a new diagnosis of epilepsy. In addition to discuss first aid, safety, care plan, medication doses and side effects.
- Ongoing support and advice to carers and families of children, for example about safety, schooling, travel.
- Advice on applications for charity grants or government benefits
- Training in administering rescue medication – buccal midazolam – in clinic and community settings
- Support and advice in compiling School Health Care Plans and Epilepsy Passports
- Advice and support to other professionals in City and Hackney about children with Epilepsy
- Liaison and joint working with the multi-disciplinary team.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Emma Hassan
- 07776 493919