Skip to main content

Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman investigates complaints about local authorities and certain other bodies including all types of adult social care providers. Our service is independent, impartial and free.

We investigate complaints about most council matters including:

  • Housing
  • Planning
  • Education
  • Social care
  • Housing benefit
  • Transport and highways
  • Environment and waste
  • Council tax

If we find that the body has done something wrong that has caused you significant injustice, we aim to get the body concerned to put it right.

If you have a complaint, you must first give the body concerned an opportunity to deal with it. If you are not satisfied with the body's response, then you can complain to us by phoning our helpline or completing our online complaint form.

For more information see the "Making a complaint" page of our website. The website also has a special section for young people.

Who to contact

0300 061 0614
Local Government Ombudsman

Where to go

PO Box 4771


Sign in to write a review

Feedback Powered by Open Objects © Idox Software Ltd